Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home4/sharpbiz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/fanciest-author-box/includes/ts-fab-construct-tabs.php on line 94
So, you’re sitting there wondering how you are going to get by this month on the measly salary your job is paying. Or maybe, you don’t even have a job, and have no idea how you are going to pay the rent this month. Instead of spending time complaining or figuring out how to tie a dead man’s noose, why not start a blog and make some extra cash?
Even if, for some reason, you don’t make $10,000 income in your first month, (as many unscrupulous marketers may tell you) you will at least work off some steam by publishing your thoughts, and find that you truly do have many incredible skills and talents.
Think of blogging as a way to be a published author, because, you actually are. You can take your posts and turn them into the next best seller or ebook.
The question is: What topic should you choose that will give you the best odds of making a little cash?
There are mainstream mega niches and there are smaller, more focused ones. If you read magazines you will get an idea of what the mega niches are. They are profitable for sure, but have stiff competition. Some are:
- How to Make Money
- Weight Loss
The important thing, is that you are truly interested in the niche that you want to write about. Sure, people create blogs for all sorts of things but if you don’t see yourself writing blog posts on that topic at least once per week, then it probably isn’t a topic you will want to pursue.
Instead of picking a mainstream niche, you will have a better chance of ranking well in Google searches by focusing in on an interesting aspect of that niche. This is called a long tail niche topic.
Take a large niche such as pets that gets about 16,000,000 monthly searches on Google. Break it down into a long tail niche topic such as French bull dog breeders that gets about 18,100. Which one do you think will have a better chance of making the first page of Google?
To find out how many searches these niches will receive go to
If a topic is too broad, you will find ideas on how to niche it down to allow you to get enough traffic without as much competition. Typically, 60,000 to 1,000 monthly searches per month would be considered profitable if your content is excellent.
Below are some ideas of niche topics you may want to consider.
- Food – What type of food do you love to eat? Everyone has to eat, right? Eating is always a popular blog topic. Blog about recipes, healthy diet, organic wine, desserts.
- Personal Development – Are you a coach or motivational speaker? Find out how your niche competes.
- Kids – clothes, toys, activities, nutrition, home schooling, potty training, etc.
- Sports – How about mountain biking or shuffle board?
- Makeup and beauty – Even during a recession women want their stuff.
- Meditation – Do you have some soothing audios and/or videos to share or tutorials on how to meditate?
- Diet and Exercise – What has worked for you? How can busy people stay in shape?
- Photography – Check out Pinterest. Drive traffic to your blog by adding a Pin Button. (if people like your images and pin them, many others will see them and share also)
- Weddings or other special events – Most people want to know how to plan big events on a budget unless they are Kim Kardassian.
- Book reviews – Do you love to read? Amazon has an associate program that will pay you a commission if you steer someone to buy an Amazon book or product.
- Inspiration – In times like these, people are looking for ways to stay motivated and happy.
- Travel tips – Have you been to any interesting places and have tips for others that will show them a great time or enable them to travel on a limited budget?
- How to learn a new language. Esperanto anyone?
- Animals – Care and feeding, pet supplies, rescues, swim with dolphins, animal antics, etc.
- How to communicate effectively – through writing, in relationships, for business.
- Working at Home – Business opportunities, how to make it work, organizing your home office, etc.
- Senior Issues – Caring for the elderly, elder fraud, products for seniors, activities, nursing homes.
- Your generation – Baby boomers, Generation X, Millennials.
- Healing Practices – Medical advice, spiritual healing, natural remedies.
- Entrepreneurial Education – How to start a business, get funding, work with employees, etc.
- How to design: jewelry, home furnishings, costumes, a tarantula cage, etc.
- Marriage Tips – How to have a long and happy marriage, sex over 50, dealing with divorce, step parenting, etc.
- Gardening Tips – How to grow killer tomatoes, arrange cactus, bonsai design
- Technical Tutorials – Can you take apart and repair a watch? Can you show someone how to block spammers from their email? How about how to make a model airplane?
- Ghosts ,Goblins or UFO’s – Who are you gonna call?
- How to make your own moonshine? (wine, beer, Pink Squirrels)
- How to market online via: podcasts, videos, tele-seminars – article writing – ebooks – blogging – social networking.
- How to be famous – Be the star of your own blog. Say something controversial and become an overnight celebrity.
- Overcome the fear of speaking or performing in public. (or the fear of appearing in a video because you’ve been reading too many recipe blogs)
- Save the _______(fill in the blank)
- What is happening in your city? This is an awesome blog: www.mydailyfind.com
- Cupcake decorating – Give those Broke Girls a run for their money.
- History and Art – How about “toilets through the ages?”
- Fishing in the Amazon – How to avoid getting your toes eaten off by piranhas
- How to live as an expat in Costa Rica Let me know
- How to choose a cell phone? I still can’t figure that out yet.
- How to hide your money in the Cayman Islands. Or… just ask Mitt.
- How to keep your sense of humor. Because really, what the world needs now is a good laugh.
The point is: If a job is hard to come by, create your own business and multiple streams of income using a blog.
If you need help getting your blog set up and operating, please contact us HERE.
Happy blogging. And PLEASE, feel free to share this post.